Friday, October 18, 2013

Preach It Teach

Work is a workout. It has forced me to sprint down hallways, flights of stairs, climb on tables, under tables, lunge across tables, lunge between objects, dodge objects and typically, something else completely surprising, depending on the day. I'm wiped out with the routine, but also intrigued and often humbled. That is the catch with this job...
I've picked up a new student this past week. She's 45 years old and not autistic but Chinese. The route of communication often looks similar, however, until my sign language flashes an appearence. Yana doesn't understand sign language any more than she understands English, so I need a full out game of charades at times. She's ready to learn, eager and appreciative which makes my job much easier. There are really only a couple things I believe I'm good at, and teaching is one of them, even on the day I'm tired of talking and could more easily take a nap.
So the inspiration and motivation still make an appearance.  I just have to look for it harder some days. 

pictures via amodernhepburn

No comments:

Post a Comment